Insurance Coverage: Wisconsin
For more information about insurance coverage of clinical trial costs, see this feature's main page: States That Require Health Plans to Cover Patient Care Costs in Clinical Trials.
Legislation: Assembly Bill 617
Effective: Nov. 1, 2006
What clinical trials are covered?
All phases of cancer clinical trials, as approved by one of the following:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH Cooperative Group or Center
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Who is required to pay?
Health care coverage plans offered by the state and specified insurers.
Other key provisions:
- The cancer trial must have therapeutic intent, not exclusively testing toxicity or disease pathophysiology.