There are a lot of things to think about before you join a study.
- You will see a health care provider during the study. But you should still see your own doctor for routine medical care.
- You take an active role in your own future health.
- You may lower your chance of getting cancer.
- You will have the chance to help your children and others who may get cancer in the future.
- The medicines or vitamins you take may have side effects.
- The medicines or vitamins you take may not work as well as proven ways to lower your chances of getting cancer.
- You may not lower your chances of getting cancer.
Costs and Time
- Research studies have costs. And health insurance does not always pay for all your costs in a study. So ask your doctor, nurse, or social worker about these costs before you decide to join.
- The study may take some of your time.