Information on general cancer prevention, prevention of specific cancers, and cancer prevention clinical trials.
On this page:
General Cancer Prevention Information
- Cancer Prevention Overview (PDQ®)
[ patient ] [ health professional ]
General information about cancer prevention and descriptions of the concepts used in cancer-specific prevention summaries.
- Cancer Trends Progress Report: Prevention
This section of the report focuses on factors that can affect a person's risk of getting cancer. Has information on adult and youth smoking, alcohol and fat consumption, certain chemicals in the environment, and other topics.
Prevention for Specific Cancers
- PDQ® Cancer Information Summaries: Prevention
Risk factors and methods to increase chances of preventing specific types of cancer.
- Metformin: Can a Diabetes Drug Help Prevent Cancer?
Based on findings from epidemiologic studies and laboratory research, metformin is being tested in clinical trials as a way to prevent cancer in people at increased risk.
- Down Home Healthy Cooking: Recipes and Tips for Healthy Cooking
Cookbook that presents traditional soul food recipes with a healthy twist. Developed for African Americans who are at higher risk from diet-related chronic diseases. Full of simple tips for tasty and nutritious dishes.
- Cruciferous Vegetables and Cancer Prevention
A fact sheet that summarizes the results of studies about cruciferous vegetables and cancer. It includes a list of cruciferous vegetables and outlines dietary recommendations for vegetables.
- Garlic and Cancer Prevention
A fact sheet that summarizes the results of studies on the consumption of garlic for cancer prevention.
- Tea and Cancer Prevention: Strengths and Limits of the Evidence
A fact sheet that summarizes the results of studies about tea and cancer prevention. It includes information about the ingredients of tea and safety considerations regarding tea consumption.
- We Can!
We Can! or "Ways to Enhance Children's Activity & Nutrition" is a national program designed for families and communities to help children maintain a healthy weight.
- Anyone Can Get Skin Cancer
No matter if your skin is light, dark, or somewhere in between, everyone is at risk for skin cancer. Learn what skin cancer looks like, how to find it early, and how to lower the chance of skin cancer.
- How to Protect Your Skin from Sunlight
Tips for protecting the skin from sunlight.
- How to Check Your Skin for Skin Cancer
Tips for examining the skin for changes that could be skin cancer.
Other Cancer Prevention Topics
- Antioxidants and Cancer Prevention: Fact Sheet
A fact sheet about antioxidants, substances that may protect cells from the damage caused by unstable molecules known as free radicals. Free radical damage may lead to cancer.
- Calcium and Cancer Prevention: Strengths and Limits of the Evidence
A fact sheet that summarizes the results of studies on calcium and cancer prevention. It includes information about dietary recommendations for calcium, and the amount of calcium in foods and supplements.
- Cancer Vaccines
A fact sheet that discusses cancer vaccines. Explains how they work, how they are made, and describes research related to their use.
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccines
A fact sheet about human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines for the prevention of infection with certain types of HPV, which is the major cause of cervical cancer.
- Statins and Cancer Prevention: Fact Sheet
A fact sheet about results from animal research and ongoing observational studies of people taking statins that suggest that these drugs may lower the risk of certain cancers, including colorectal and skin cancers.
- Vitamin D and Cancer Prevention: Strengths and Limits of the Evidence
A fact sheet that summarizes the results of studies on vitamin D and cancer prevention. It includes information about dietary recommendations for vitamin D and the amount of vitamin D in food and vitamin D supplements.
- Energy Balance: Weight and Obesity, Physical Activity, Diet
Information from NCI and other agencies about healthy weight, diet, physical activity, and obesity and the research aimed at understanding their relationship to cancer.
Cancer Prevention Clinical Trials
- If You Want To Find Ways To Prevent Cancer...Learn About Prevention Clinical Trials
Easy-to-read brochure that explains the basics of cancer prevention trials.