This complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) information summary provides an overview of the use of 714-X as a treatment for people with cancer. The summary includes a brief history of the development of 714-X; a review of laboratory, animal, and clinical research; and possible side effects of 714-X use.
This summary contains the following key information:
- The main ingredient of 714-X is naturally derived camphor that is chemically modified by the introduction of a nitrogen atom.
- It is claimed that 714-X protects and stabilizes the immune system and restores its ability to fight cancer.
- No study of 714-X has been published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal to show it is safe or effective in treating cancer.
- 714-X is not approved for use in the United States.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has placed an import ban on 714-X.
Many of the medical and scientific terms used in the summary are hypertext linked (at first use in each section) to the NCI Dictionary of Cancer Terms, which is oriented toward nonexperts. When a linked term is clicked, a definition will appear in a separate window.
Reference citations in some PDQ CAM information summaries may include links to external Web sites that are operated by individuals or organizations for the purpose of marketing or advocating the use of specific treatments or products. These reference citations are included for informational purposes only. Their inclusion should not be viewed as an endorsement of the content of the Web sites, or of any treatment or product, by the PDQ Cancer CAM Editorial Board or the National Cancer Institute.