National Cancer Institute Evaluation of Scientific Hypotheses
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) supports biomedical research at universities, medical schools, hospitals, and research organizations. The Institute formally evaluates scientific hypotheses through a structured, competitive grants review process.
The booklet Everything You Wanted To Know About the NCI Grants Process But Were Afraid To Ask, which is available online on the NCI’s Office of Grants Administration (OGA) Web page, provides a general description of the NCI grants process. This resource can be viewed and downloaded from http://www3.cancer.gov/admin/gab/index.htm on the Internet. U.S. residents can order this booklet through the NCI Publications Locator Web site at http://www.cancer.gov/publications or by calling the NCI’s Cancer Information Service at 1–800–4–CANCER (1–800–422–6237).
Information about the grants process of the NCI and other Institutes within the National Institutes of Health (NIH) is also available on the NCI’s Web site. The Grant Application and Review Process Web page includes links to basic funding information, forms and instructions, specific grant mechanisms, and other related information. This Web page can be found at http://www.cancer.gov/research_funding/grants/ on the Internet. Grant application forms are only available online.
General inquiries about grants may be made by calling or sending an e-mail to the NIH’s Office of Extramural Research (OER), Division of Extramural Outreach and Information Resources at:
# # #
Related NCI materials and Web pages:
- Everything You Wanted To Know About the NCI Grants Process But Were Afraid To Ask (http://www3.cancer.gov/admin/gab/index.htm)
How can we help?
We offer comprehensive research-based information for patients and their families, health professionals, cancer researchers, advocates, and the public.
- Call NCI’s Cancer Information Service at 1–800–4–CANCER (1–800–422–6237)
- Visit us at http://www.cancer.gov or http://www.cancer.gov/espanol
- Chat using LiveHelp, NCI’s instant messaging service, at http://www.cancer.gov/livehelp
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Order publications at http://www.cancer.gov/publications or by calling 1–800–4–CANCER
- Get help with quitting smoking at 1–877–44U–QUIT (1–877–448–7848)