This page contains brief information about prednisone and a collection of links to more information about the use of this drug, research results, and ongoing clinical trials.
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL).
- Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Multiple myeloma.
- Mycosis fungoides.
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Prostate cancer.
- Thymoma and thymic carcinoma.
Prednisone is also used alone or with other drugs to prevent or treat the following conditions related to cancer:
- Anorexia (loss of appetite caused by chemotherapy).
- Drug hypersensitivity (allergic reactions).
- Hypercalcemia (high blood levels of calcium).
- Nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy.
- Thrombocytopenia (low platelet levels).
Prednisone is also used alone or with other drugs to treat many other diseases and conditions. The drug continues to be studied in the treatment of many types of cancer and other conditions.More About Prednisone
Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary - Detailed scientific definition and other names for this drug.
MedlinePlus Information for Prednisone - A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.Research Results
Clinical Trial Results: Bortezomib Improves Survival of Newly Diagnosed Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Clinical Trial Results: Thalidomide a Beneficial Option for Elderly Multiple Myeloma Patients - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Bortezomib Multiple Myeloma Trial Halted after Analysis Shows Significant Survival Improvements - Information about the use of this drug to treat cancer.Clinical Trials Accepting Patients
Find Clinical Trials for Prednisone - Check for trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients.
Important: The drug information on this page is meant to be educational. It is not a substitute for medical advice. The information may not cover all possible uses, actions, interactions, or side effects of this drug, or precautions to be taken while using it. Please see your health care professional for more information about your specific medical condition and the use of this drug.