International Palliative Care Workshop
The National Association For Cancer Awareness with the Ministry of Health Oman, American Society for Clinical Oncology, Middle East Cancer Consortium, and Oncology Nursing Society is hosting an International Palliative Care Workshop and Advanced Course in Palliative Care for Nurses.
Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Grand Hyatt Hotel
February 4-13, 2013
The international workshop will focus on the following topics:
- Pain assessment and management in cancer patients.
- End-of-life management of cancer patients.
- Caring for the whole patient:
- Screening for distress and unmet needs in patients with cancer.
- Recommended interventions to reduce pain and suffering in patients with cancer.
- The family as an integral part of the palliative care team.
- Evidence-based treatments of psychological disturbances.
- Research themes in palliative care.
- Palliative care services in the community.
This meeting aims to bring together key opinion leaders from the fields of oncology, rehabilitation, public health, nursing, patient organizations, NGO’s, journalism and other relevant backgrounds to consider and make recommendations of how to improve the provision and outcomes of holistic care of cancer patients at different stages of the disease. Key opinion leaders from the MENA region will work with their global counterparts to consider and agree on how to work together nationally and regionally to advance the priority for management of cancer in the region.